yearning for yarn : my knitlog
Sunday, October 22, 2006 1:25 AM
Bumblebees
So these are the mittens I scrapped the Jaywalkers to work on (not that I've gotten a lot of knitting done in the last few days). In any case, it's a fun pattern and there's a good chance I'll do another pair. Though I think I would like them better with a more subtle change in colour than the black and yellow (which is supposed to be gold, but gold is awfully hard to find) that I picked.

In the background of the pictures is a new table cloth. I went to a "Women's Show" today and was pleasantly surprised at the variety of displays (though not a single knitting related booth!). There was something for everyone - from the woman who works outside the home, to the stay at home mom/wife. Booths for weight loss products stood shoulder to shoulder with "empowering" displays which were lined up with those that showed you how to decorate your home and be a good hostess (which is where I got the tablecloth). If this is what the women's movement has accomplished - I'm good with that.

The tablecloth is stain repellent (not just resistant - repellent!) and though it was a little spendy, I like it well enough and I did need one for the dining room. The only irritant is that I was a little pressured into buying it by my mother. She does that frequently; finds something and tells me how much I should buy it, how perfect it is, yada yada yada. I know she means the best, but honestly, sometimes I just want to tell her to buy it herself. I never do tell her that - most often we just move on or, less often, I tell her why I don't want whatever the something is. But sometimes, I cave and buy it.

I guess I should have stopped at that "empowerment" booth for a bit longer.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger tammy said…

    Wouldn't matter, empowerment is no match for the mom factor. I prefer the smile and nod method myself. Although she busts me on that one every once in awhile too! :)

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to start those mitts one of these days also.. LOVE them...
    Penny

    http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Other Obsessions

Knitting Links
Blogs I Like
Gossip
Previous Posts
Rings & Things



Last : List : Next
RingSurf


Last : List : Next : Random


Last : List : Next : Random


Locations of visitors to this page

Books

Credits

Powered by Blogger

  rock yer socks off!  Hit Counters
Projects