yearning for yarn : my knitlog
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:28 PM
A collaborative effort
Well, it's not knitted, but it is a finished project. Actually, it had been finished for years. Literally. And then languished forgotten in the back of a closet...and not just a closet, but a closet in three different houses! Finally, my mother pulled it out and reminded me that it even existed asking, "Why don't you get this framed?"

And so I did. It wasn't exactly inexpensive to have it done, but they did a lovely job on the stretching, and the mat is just about perfect. And there was another reason for having it done well. I didn't do the whole picture myself (it's needlepoint by the way - people who haven't seen it up close have thought it was a painting). I had started it and completed about 2/3's when I lost interest. It sat untouched for quite some time until a friend offered to complete it for me. She did and returned it to me for framing, which I put off until this past spring.

Her name was Allison. Nearly three years ago, she committed suicide. She never understood the high regard people, myself included, held her in. Maybe more precisely, she never felt worthy of it. She was a lovely person, and had a tremendous skill for needlepoint and cross stitch -- the work she produced was extraordinary. I'm happy that I have this shared project as a remembrance of her.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger tammy said…

    It's so beautiful. I'm glad you got it framed so you can enjoy it and remember your friend and her skill and ability to create beauty.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Other Obsessions

Knitting Links
Blogs I Like
Gossip
Previous Posts
Rings & Things



Last : List : Next
RingSurf


Last : List : Next : Random


Last : List : Next : Random


Locations of visitors to this page

Books

Credits

Powered by Blogger

  rock yer socks off!  Hit Counters
Projects